How to make a Scythian style felt hat
1. Estimate the width of your head from ear to ear and draw a line on plastic.
2. Make marks on either side of that line expanding it by about 40%.
3. Using that line as a midpoint make a tall, long, bullet shaped pattern and draw it out
on clear plastic. Cut it out.
4. Follow the same directions that you
would for making a bag to layer and felt your wool.
5. Place the felted tube on your head and pinch the wool at the spot on your forehead just over your eyebrows.
6. After marking that spot use it as a guide of where to cut and cut out a small, inside of an doric arch from the forehead down to the end of the piece.
7. Place the hat on your head and determine where you want the front flaps to be and mark where the base of your ear is.
8. Cut a straight line from the base of the felt to the mark.
9. Put the hat on your head and see if it’s pointy enough:>.
Pictures and better instructions to follow soon…